One of my favorite DIY ideas was to create our own birdseed wreath. This one requires some patience and a few rolls over the birdseed, but as you can see...the outcome is well worth the extra effort!
To create them:
- 2 of the largest foam wreaths you can buy at any craft store. (we used squared off edges instead of the round but you can use whichever you prefer.)
- 1 bag of bird seed
- Styrofoam or heavy duty glue
- Get a deep bin or large working surface and spread the birdseed out
- Heavily roll the wreaths in glue, gently helping the birdseed on by lightly patting to cover (you may need to repeat several times after you allow to dry a little)
- Tie your ribbon of choice on to hang!
Ribbon wands are perfect in lieu of sparklers or as flower girl wands. To create them:
- 3 ft dowels (from any craft store, each will heed 2)
- Glue dots
- Spray Paint
- Cut dowels in half.
- Spray paint wooden dowels white (or any color of your choosing).
- Tie strands of ribbon at the top of the dowel in varying heights.
- Cut out paper birds from desired paper. I used cardstock in similar shades.
- Attach paper birds to the ends of the ribbon by a glue dot.
Paper flower garlands and birdcages were hung from the trees. To create the birdcages:
- Embroidery hoop (2 per birdcage)
- Chicken wire
- Wooden Dowels
- Use an embroidery hoop as your base and top.
- Wrap chicken wire around and wire to the hoops.
- Wire wooden dowels into the display (high enough not to be burned by a candle, if you choose to have one in your birdcage), and add birds with wire or hot glue.
A bird mobile hung above the tabletop. It’s easy to create on your own!
- Pea gravel
- Outdoor small flag stand
- Wooden dowels
- Fishing line
- Paper birds
- Place the pea gravel and flag stand into the planter, being sure it will stand vertical
- Attach paper birds to each end of wooden dowels and along fishing wire
- Use fishing wire to hang dowels from flag stand